Monday, June 2, 2008

Bartimaeus Trilogy: The Amulet of Samarkand

I've seen a brief item that mentions that book one of the Bartimaeus Trilogy: The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud is in development -- kind of like the movie version of the Other Place. The trilogy is one of the best fantasy series I've read in recent years -- a gritty, well-developed alternate world, complex characters, the wry asides of Bartimaeus himself and face-paced plots. It will be interesting to see if they work as movies though. One of the most fascinating elements of the book is how Jonathan Stroud was able to make us care about an entirely unlikeable character. That, I think, is quite a feat.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope that if they do make it into a movie and it will be a good one. Not a bust like Eragon where the book was fantastic and the movie got all of 2 stars. When I saw the movie I was so sad at how they ruined it. Hopefully it will be as big as a success as the Harry Potter series. I grew to love all the characters in the book and at the end of Ptolemy's Gate, I cried.

Rachel said...

I keep wondering if Mr. Stroud has any plans to write about Kitty in Egypt. That'd be cool. And yes, Eragon was a less than inspiring movie.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!